World War One Marines from Marshall County, Iowa
- BAY, Myron Ellis, Marshalltown, son of C. P. BAY, aged 23, insurance agent, enlisted, Marine Corps, St. Paul, Minnesota, July 20, 1917; Corp. 2d Co, 1st Regt, USM League Island, Philadelphia; mustered out; February 15, 1919.
- BENDLAGE, Theodore Jr., son of Theodore H. Bendlage; Merchant; enlisted May 13, 1918, U. S. Marines, active duty, domestic and foreign; discharged January 25, 1919.
- BOTTS, Sherman, H., Liscomb, son of Mrs. Sarah Botts, INDUCTED June 24, 1918, Brooklyn, N.Y.; 2d Regt, 152 Depot Brigade. PREVIOUSLY served 4 years with the USMC and had qualified Sharpshooter, 7 months active service at Vera Cruz, Mexico, 1911, Mustered out; Wash. DC December 10, 1918.
- CARL, Henry Crawford, Marshalltown, son of Mr. & Mrs. Fred Carl; aged 23, Enlisted , Marines, March 12, 1915; stationed Mare Island and San Diego, Cal.; assigned USS Yorktown; service in Philippines, China, and Japan; to France, June 9, 1918 with 5th and 6th Marine Regts, returned to U.S. March 1919; discharged Quantico, May 2, 1919.
- GLICK, Frank Lewis, son of Mrs. Helen Glick, Ogden, Utah, aged 23, clerk; MHS ’11, enlisted Marine Corps, May 20, 1917 at Chicago; sent to Paris Island, NC for training; transferred to Quantico, VA, arrived in France, February 13, 1918; Sergt. 80th Co, 6th Regt, Marines; killed in action at Chateau Thierry, June 3, 1918. First Marshalltown boy killed in World War.
- ISEMAN, Finley J., Marshalltown, son of Mr. & Mrs. John A. ISEMAN, Burlington, KS; aged 24; bank clerk; enlisted Marines, May 20, 1917 at Chicago; 76th Co, 6th Regt. Marines, AEF. Narrowly escaped death from shrapnel fire; June 1918, severely wounded July 19, 1918.
- RYDER, Hubert M., Marshalltown, son of Frank J. Ryder; aged 16, student, enlisted Marine Corps; January 1917, Chicago, IL, assigned to 94th Co, 7th Regt, Marines, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba; transferred to San Juan Hill, Santiago, Cuba. Trumpeter.
- WHITE, Dee Miller, Marshalltown, son of Mrs. Susan W. White; MHS ’14; bookkeeper; enlisted Marines; Chicago, June 1, 1917; trained at Paris Island, NC and at Norfolk, VA; stationed Philadelphia Navy Yards; on USS San Diego, torpedoed July 19, 1918 off Fire Island, NY, en route from dry dock; in water for four hours before rescued; Q.M Sergt, School, Norfolk, mustered out at Norfolk, January 31, 1919.